Sunday 5 February 2012

Animation to Music


As I have chosen to animate to sound I flicked back to my first year sketchbooks to uncover the wonderful works of Len Lye. We first looked at these when creating our own scratch films however we didn't add sound till the very end of the process. In this particular animation named Kaleidoscope (1935) the use of shapes, textures and layering create a very light hearted and upbeat mise-en-scene relating to that of the music chosen. It is also nice when the colours and patterns change completely to contrast with each other to portray different sections of the music something that i should defiantly consider with style, colour and content.


Again the same technique is used within Colour Flight (1937) the colours, the amount of texture and contrasting scenes makes it exciting to watch and engages the audience to want to keep on watching as it continues to change. This is why I want to choose a piece of music that has a bit of an inconsistent change to be able to add visual excitement and contrast within the piece.

Another example of animation to sound that I found looking back over my first year work was the animations of Oskar Fischinger.

Early Abstractions (1946-57) is similar to the animations by Len Lye in the way of aesthetics, this is the only difference with what I am thinking as I want to create characters and a narrative instead of just using shapes. However looking at these animations has helped give me an incite into creating the right feel for the chosen song.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.