Sunday 19 February 2012

Alice in Wonderland

Looking at the 'dream like' state taken from the title of the song 'The Land of Perpetual Sleep' I wanted to look into Surrealism.

Surreal- Adjective
1.
of, pertaining to, or characteristic of surrealism; surrealistic.
2.having the disorienting, hallucinatory quality of a dream; unreal; fantastic: surreal complexities of the bureaucracy.

I thought that looking at imagery, film, graphics ect by surrealists would inspire the over all mise-en-scene for my piece. Straight away I thought about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Caroll (1865). A quote from the Disney film Alice in Wonderland (1951) Alice states to her cat that she would prefer to live in a
'nonsensical dreamland called Wonderland' and the place in which she enters through the rabbit hole is just that. Alice in Wonderland has been used as inspiration for alot of works for example the works at the Tate exhibitions in Liverpool that I went to last year. But i simply want to look at the way in which the 'dream like state' is portrayed through out the story to make sure I give my audience the same impression of entering this 'perpetual sleep'.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.