Sunday 21 August 2011

Niki Pilkington email reply

In response to your questions:


What inspires your illustrations?
It may sound obvious, but the person I'm drawing is the biggest
inspiration on what I'm drawing. Whether I'm working from found images, or
on personal commissions, for me, the most important part of my work is
that I portray certain personality traits of the girl that I'm drawing and
allow the viewer to get an insight of what she's all about. I draw these
girls because they lure me in for some reason, and I want the person
looking at the picture to feel the same way. If you're going to tell a
story, I believe you should tell it right.

...the use of the pencil drawings with the coloured cut outs and coloured
sections what made you decide to do this?
It's just a style which has evolved over time I guess. I've always wanted
to find new ways to try to bring my pictures to life and I feel like this
is the best way for me to do that. I like combining the different
dimensions - it's fun to make and hopefully fun to look at too. I don't
take my work too seriously, which makes mixing my detailed pencil drawings
and all these childlike materials and techniques easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.