Wednesday 26 October 2011

Dark Matters: Shadow Technology Art

I didn’t know what to expect from the Dark matters exhibition, as I hadn’t heard of it before hand. It was a compulsory visit arranged by the Rick and I am really glad we went as I find it hard to motivate myself to go to galleries even though when I get there I always enjoy it!

I want to talk about two pieces in particular that I really enjoyed and made me come away thinking about them and how my work could be improved and influenced by them.

Here is the first:

Kiss by R. Luke DuBoise

The thing I found interesting about this video was the sound used, it was quite high pitched and intense straightaway changing the mood of the piece that I wasn’t expecting. It seemed like the use of ‘antique’ clips contrasted with the new futuristic high energy aesthetic and sound that really created a new and refreshing vibe. Something that I also noticed while watching the video is that we were all interacting with the piece trying to guess which film the clips were from since the technique of the aesthetic almost distorted them slightly. This is something I was trying to achieve though my boat animation, as I wanted the audience to feel for my boat and really connect with my piece.

The second piece 'Black Flood' by Barnaby Hoskins (2006) places the audience in a box shaped area with projected visuals of the room filling with water surrounding you. As soon as I entered the space almost straight away I thought of my boat animation and how this effect could be a possibility of show casing my work for the final show to really get the audience to feel my struggles and successes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.