Saturday 1 October 2011

Narrative


"The explosion of new technologies and the proliferation of new channels have served to remind us of one ancient imperative of the human race, the need to tell stories. As the oral tradition becomes a digital tradition, stories have never been more important."

I was looking at a design company called Euro RSCG worldwide when I came across this quote, Euro RSCG are responsible for the Evian advert with the dancing baby t-shirts which is what I was investigating at the time. This particular quote has hugely impacted on my way of working as I have began to look at stories and the importance of narrative within existing moving image work and my own. After reading this quote I have been consciously and subconsciously analysing film, animation and adverts to see if they have an interesting narrative to engage me and of course other members of its audience. I have never really thought much about narrative before and how as human beings we love to tell and listen to stories as a way to explain, inform and entertain so if a film, advertisement or animation has a great story line then the aesthetics will act as a tool to assist the narrative.

This quote has also majorly influenced my final outcome for the self initiated project as I have never produced a piece of work with a narrative before making the majority of my work lack any sort of meaning and as a result of this I have struggled. So this is the exact practice I want to put into play during future projects, for example in my self initiated project I have chosen a narrative that I want to portray and I shall use the aesthetics to help the narrative along and then let the audience decipher the animation in their own way.

This quote also spurred on a personal exploration into the importance of narrative within film and animation that is now my major theme for my dissertation and continuing into the future this will be one of the most memorable quotes I will come back to again and again to influence my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.