Sunday 1 April 2012

Portfolio Visit 1 - The Neighbourhood

My first portfolio visit of the year was with Chris and Stuart at the Neighborhood. I started by showing them my showreel and asking how it could be improved, they suggested adding more of the 'making of' elements to show in detail how much work goes into each piece especially the 'feel good' brief. They suggested showing the making of by playing the actual film clip followed by adding the acetate on top then removing the film from underneath to leave the finished product. There was one question in particular that I wanted to ask Chris and Stuart and it was what is the most prominent form of animation within the industry and the moment, what are clients asking for. They did mention that 3D is a very popular form on animation as its more modern looking but if my ink rotoscoping is my style then to keep at it but try and get some 3D software experience behind me so that it my skills aren’t limited when looking for a job within the industry. To help with this Stuart showed me a website called the 11 second club where every month an 11 second sound clip is available for you to create a character and a short narrative to go with it. He suggested taking the sound clip and creating different visual outcomes for it so using the same character but animating/modeling/drawing it in multiple ways to gain more variety within my showreel. One bit of critism given to me was that my 3D animation timing was a bit out and if i wasn't confident with the piece i should take it out of my showreel as it would give the wrong impression to a client that i can use 3D animation software.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.